Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Honeymoon Is Over!

The number of subscribers I have on my bloglines aggregator is one of the few statistical measurements relating to this blog of which I am aware. While I have no idea of its significance nor any delusions of grandeur, it has been gratifying to note it tick up over the short life of my ramblings. Not even into treble figures, of course, but an indicator that someone is listening, nodding, shrugging or cursing!

Until today! A subscriber has abandoned me! Is this the beginning of the slippery slope? Am I really the imposter I always feared? Do I have to start offering free gifts?

Of course not. I did not meet his or her needs, that's all. Maybe they changed their RSS feed? How can I know? Losing a customer is no cause for celebration, nor is it the end of the world. Just a good reminder that one is here on suffrance and must strive daily to provide a stimulating product that is worthy of other people's time. The numbers game can quickly turn into a ranking ego trip, but it's much better to remember that it's not about you, it's about them.

5 Comments:

Blogger ann michael said...

John - I don't subscribe - but read all your posts. Interesting to me is that I find subscriptions clutter my inbox so I don't really like them. Instead, I added you to my google homepage by typing in the url on the "add content" option. I now have about 30 blogs on my homepage. I did subscribe to a couple, but I'm going to drop off of them because I like them on my homepage better. I hope those authors don't think I don't like their blogs when I unsubscribe!

11:03 AM, May 28, 2006  
Blogger john dodds said...

Subscribe via an RSS feed Ann then you've got no inbox issues

1:09 AM, May 29, 2006  
Blogger ann michael said...

Thanks - I realized yesterday that I've been cutting and pasting URL's when I didn't have to! When I first used to hit that subscribe button I would get a bunch of XML that I didn't know what to do with - so I stopped. It seems every time I hit it now I get an easy add to my Google homepage! Much better.

6:23 AM, May 29, 2006  
Blogger john dodds said...

have you looked at bloglines - i may be wrong but i get the feeling you're still working too hard

7:12 AM, May 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't look at it as someone leaving... look at it as more room for others to enjoy your words. See, I'm new! Your words seem significant enough for me to comment and even come back!
- Julie -

1:36 PM, May 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home