Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Friends For Life?

The received wisdom of marketing has been that you catch consumers young and they remain loyal for life. It's always seemed counter-intuitive to me but judging by my inertia vis a vis my bank, there is an element of truth to it. I'm not sure, however, that this could be truly called loyalty. Moreover, neuroscience shows that changing brain chemistry over our life-time inspires differing wants and behaviours.

This resurfaced in my mind when a survey revealed that the friendships of the under 30s are unlikely to last longer than five years. What should marketers make of that? Simply put, it just reinforces the need to put a lot of effort into keeping the relationship fresh.

You have you to keep making your product/service relevant and desirable to your users and maintian their passion for you. If you dont wnat to drift apart you have to maintain the passion, because (I'm told) once the passion goes out of a relationship, it tends not to get consummated as frequently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home