Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Still Too Geeky.

Hugh's post yesterday suggests to me that the blogosphere is even geekier than I imagined. If he doesn't have a handle on these things after blogging for so long, then what hope is there for the less geeky among us?

I have no idea how many people read my blog nor what my rising Technorati ranking actually means and I've absolutely no idea where to find the statistical tracking devices to which he alludes. Intuitively, I suspect that the presence of repeat visitors on a single day might to some degree counter his argument, but I don't have the ammunition to be in a position to prove or disprove that and that strikes me as a crazy state of affairs. But then I've written before that blogging companies are really failling behind the transformation of the blogosphere from geekfest to mass medium.

It's perfectly valid to argue in favour of the indirect effects of blogging, but that doesn't remove the marketing need for meaningful, clear metrics to be easily obtainable by the blogger in the street.

3 Comments:

Blogger john dodds said...

That's my point - it should be easy but it isn't. I've been registered witrh Technorati for ages and it is one of the most unexplained sites there is.

I'm no luddite, I just expect blog providers to build these essential data monitors into their templates or, at least, provide a page explaining them. They're not supplying a product appropriate to their changed market.

1:42 AM, August 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use Typepad, and it gives me daily and weekly stats, plus I can see the complete referral list... which means that each time someone (or something) accesses the blog, I can see which page they're accessing (for example, a specific blog post vs. the main blog index page), and if they've come from a link that was somewhere else, you can see the URL they're coming in from. This is great for knowing who is linking to you, and how many people are responding to that link.

Other than that, the only thing I ever bother with is Technorati:
http://www.technorati.com/blogs/http://makemarketinghistory.blogspot.com/

So you have 64 links from 27 blogs, which considering the short time your blog has been around, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Those of us who have already linked to you and then link to you again will count as another "link" to you on Technorati, but we don't help your rank (today yours is 120,407). The only way to improve your actual rank is to have different blogs link to you, as opposed to getting more links from those who've linked to you already.

Technorati is the best way to quickly see who has linked to you recently--and obviously that's very helpful!

10:32 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger john dodds said...

This interweb thing is real complicated

11:10 AM, August 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home