Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Monday, June 11, 2007

Why Early Adopters Are Overrated.

I've decided I'm not an early adopter, I'm an early acquirer. I've had a Twitter account for quite a long time, similarly with Facebook but I don't use either of them. My MySpace, Joost and Jaiku activity is similarly spartan. After a burst of investigation, I lose interest.

I've watched true early adopters flit from one to the next and create buzz, but does it really matter? Are the views of people with technical expertise far beyond that of the mainstream or those of people seeking to analyse the potential monetisation of said products really that relevant. If they're not the people who will constitute the bulk of your users, then I'd question how much one should be believing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"early acquirer" is a great term. i'm afraid I might be as well ... in hindsight getting a Joost beta invite was more exciting than actually using the service.

Ian
www.flaggedforfollowup.com

4:23 AM, June 12, 2007  
Blogger RB said...

John,
Very good post. Straight to the heart of the matter.

Give it some wellie!

5:05 AM, June 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home