Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Saving Pennies To Lose Dollars.


It's trivial, but I realise that while I chose flights on price and convenience on my recent trip, the thing I remember most vividly is my feeling of disappointment at the inferior quality of the meals on one of the carriers. Now airline food is not expected to be gourmet quality and readily meets those expectations, but this time I just had the feeling that cost-cutting had prevailed. I wasn't even hungry. But I felt I was being short-changed.

Maybe the airline's executives are too focussed on the price sensitivity that has come with deregulation and the transparency of price-comparison sites, but now when I search those sites I will definitely feel less inclined to click on this carrier's logo. Although everything else about the flight was fine, there is now an airline for which I definitely don't have a preference.

Consequently, the price differential tomorrow will have to be markedly larger than this time last week if they are to get my business.

Value = price + experience and even tiny things can sway that equation.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark McGuinness said...

Not to mention the in-flight booze situation...

12:53 PM, February 13, 2008  
Blogger john dodds said...

Mark - too true - the lesser carrier also charged for that but I don't drink on planes (often).

1:10 PM, February 13, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you'd had an option to donate a small fee to charity instead of being sevred that shit, would you have gone for that - when you were at point of purchase ?

12:37 AM, February 14, 2008  
Blogger john dodds said...

No. The point I'm making is about the relative quality of the meal - the other flights all had food that was acceptable if not wonderful. Charitable donations live in a different realm for me.

2:07 AM, February 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home