Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Twitter Spam.

In my usual early acquirer fashion, I started using Twitter a long time and have delighted in receiving classic tweets such as "Pardon me boy is this the Heathrow Express?", "Gazing at the ocean. Looking for a kettle", and the classic "Riding the Tube like a mofo."

The stress was very much on the ambient intimacy that Lisa Reichelt identified. The reaction was one of delight, wry amusement or an excuse to grab a coffee/beer. But now, hot on the heels of the rise of the verbose super users, we're inevitably getting the guides to corporate tweeting.

Tara produced a comprehensive one yesterday, but I fear that a lack of restraint on the part of companies who read her words will ruin the delight of Twitter and backfire on them. The technology is only the medium and any company using it cannot afford to forget that Twitter is something more than that to its users and no doubt a different thing to each of them.

The strength of Twitter is its "one to many" messaging ability, but from a marketing perspective the "many" have to want the message and even if thye agree to follow (i.e receive messages from) a company, there is an implicit level of incoming traffic that they will not tolerate. The marketing danger here is that the combination of the ease of sending the short message form and the flow/stream aesthetic of Twitter will lead to abuse of that permission. Because of the limited size of the Twitter page, such behaviours will quickly become spam of the worst kind.

The smart strategy is far less complex. I want companies to have a Twitter account where I can reach them and, to their credit, some companies are already doing that. If I have an issue with a company, I want to be able to pull a very quick reaction from them. In an age of web 2.0 information overload, I don't want to be bombarded by them with unrequested offers and items they think might amuse me.

When we market our company's products/services, we have to remember that part of the job is to to be the individual's advocate. It's all too easy to serve the company's needs and forget about the customer. By way of example, I hope that Tara forgives me for pointing out the unfortunate coincidence of events that occurred today.

No sooner had I read something in her guide that worried me

Rickrolls or other fun internet games - this shows you are a bunch of fun and has people trying to do the same for you. Spreading as many internet memes as possible is good.

than I checked my Twitter and read her tweet with which I was in total agreement.


We've all done it. The customer is not different to you and me. They are you and me.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I notice that there is no mention of my daily twitter love tweets.

And Colman gets quoted twice.

2:38 AM, April 23, 2008  
Blogger john dodds said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:56 AM, April 23, 2008  
Blogger john dodds said...

Only one Colman quote I think. Twitter love is too meta for this.

3:57 AM, April 23, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No - gazing at the sea and riding the underground are both the work of Mr. Colman.

7:46 AM, April 23, 2008  
Blogger john dodds said...

I beg to differ - the former was Beeker on vacation or possibly honeymoon.

1:30 PM, April 23, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are ed hardy shirts
,pretty ed hardy shirt for men,

ed hardy womens in the ed hardy online store

designed by ed hardy ,
many cheap ed hardy shirt ,glasses,caps,trouers ed hardy shirts on sale ,

You can go to edhardyshirts.com to have a look ,you may find one of ed hardy clothing fit for you
Top qualitymen's jacket,
These cheap jacket are on sale now,you can find
north face jackets inmage on our web

Do you wannaghd hair straighteners for you own , we have many
cheap ghd hair straightenersin style and great,you can choose one from these
hair straightenersAuthentic chaussure pumachaussure sport And chaussure nike shoes
http://www.crazypurchase.com
http://weddingdressseason.com
http://jeancart.com
http://straighthairgirl.blog126.fc2.com
http://www.seriousblogging.com/crazygirlsshirts
http://www.free-blog-site.com/iammyself
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/hotfishing
http://www3.atword.jp/deepseaworld

1:28 AM, May 31, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home