Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Thursday, February 07, 2013

The Wisdom Of Dave Trott.



1) Don't define yourself by your department.

2) Being professional means being objective.

3) People must notice the advertising (words that never appear in the brief).

4) It's all about Bernbach's "Timeless Human Truths".

5) Branding: being unable to repeat the ad without naming the product.

6) You don't need twelve housewives from Slough.

7) Ads don't run on the boardroom table.


Photo by Nicole Yershon, shoulder by me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Rob said...

I love points 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7.

Point 4 gets on my tits because as I've written today, there is a bunch of 'timeless human truths' that are not exactly true ... more like Hollywood truths.

Of course, perception is often reality, but the issue I have is that people forget that just because people might feel the same way about something all over the world, the way they express them could be wildly different.

That aside, it sounds like it was fun.

4:40 PM, February 07, 2013  
Blogger john dodds said...


To be fair to him, I think it was more about customer focus than constant truths. I don't know the Bernbach quote (and some of the audiene didn't even know who Bernbach was!) but it struck me that he might be talking abut insights.

There were other things with which I disagreed and some that would have caused you to have kittens but they didn't sit well in a very quick blogpost.

2:05 AM, February 08, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home